What I'm Currently Playing [March 2018]

 Lately I wasn't in the mood in playing of long-winded RPGs or nonstop action/adventures. Instead, I've been interested into playing some indie games, specifically those that have been in my backlog for months and even years. I got most of these games during the occasional Steam sales and was originally planning to play them sooner, only to be ultimately get thrown in my backlog of games. So since I don't feel like doing much this month, I thought it would be best to focus on shorter, small-scaled games. It's also a good opportunity to check out some the ones that I've been hearing good things about such as the likes of Stardew Valley and Undertale. I was planning on progressing through the Kingdom Hearts line up of games this month, but that'll have to take a back seat for now due to my laziness. For now, here are some of the games I'm currently playing these past weeks:


Freedom Planet (PC)



 Heavily inspired by old-school Sonic games, Freedom Planet is a 2D indie platformer with lots of emphasis on speed and to a certain extent, exploration. You can choose to play as one of three characters (featuring a dragon, bobcat, and even a basset) across the game's distinctive stages. There's a lot here that screams Sonic 3 & Knuckles though fortunately the game adds its own twists in gameplay and presentation. There's also a story mode, which is serviceable and manages to get things moving. It's a surprisingly long game with lots of challenging boss fights and fantastic platforming to please platformer veterans.


Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4)



 Immediately at first glance, Cosmic Star Heroine may seem like a Chrono Trigger clone, yet it manages to develop an identity of its own. It features a futuristic cyberpunk premise that follows a group of rebels across different planets trying to expose a secret corporate conspiracy. The gameplay is exactly like Chrono though it manages to add its own elements into the mix. The soundtrack, composed by HyperDuck SoundWorks-- the same guys who worked on Sonic Mania-- is pleasant to listen to and blends well with the game's world. My first hours with Cosmic Star Heroine have been pleasant and hoping it continue that way.


Stardew Valley (PC)



Harvest Moon helped popularize the whole farming-sim sub-genre back in the SNES days. In Stardew Valley, you take the role of a rancher who takes over his grandfather's farm known as "Stardew Valley". There is no main story here, just you tend to the farm's needs such as watering plants, plant crops, and feeding the livestock. While I'm not a fan of simulation games, Stardew Valley honestly peaked my interest and I'm having a blast with it so far. 


 That's all for now. Sorry, I took a while to get things going this month, sometimes laziness gets the best of me and at times I just feel burnt-out as I don't feeling like picking up the controller. Thankfully I'm back planning on dishing out some in the coming days. Until next time.

Comments