What I've Been Playing [September 2018]

 Hey everyone, back with another monthly update. September was a blast with the release of Marvel's Spider-Man and I've been having fun with it ever since it's release. I've covered indie games to death for the past few months, so I'll be taking a break from them for a while and focus on playing some of this year's releases instead. Though if you ask me, I enjoyed playing indies way more than the big-budget offerings. I'm still playing through my crap-ton of unplayed games, so apologies if there's little activity in the coming while. But anyway, here's what I've been playing for the past couple of days:

Spider-Man (PS4)


 It's been no surprise that Insomniac Games' Spider-Man for the PS4 has been smashing sales records and earing high praises from both fans and critics, and for good reason. One of the most well-written Spider-Man narratives in years, the story and characters are big highlight of the game. That and the gameplay itself is robust with fluid controls and a ton of gadgets to make the combat interesting. I'm not gonna dive gonna into the specifics as I'm currently writing up my full review of the game, but I'll say it now, it's easily up there with the best superhero games ever made.

To The Moon (PC)


 To The Moon can be of a mixed bag based on your expectations. If you're expecting an RPG in the vein of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV, then you'll sorely disappointed. While it borrows the aesthetic, To The Moon is actually a visual novel with a few puzzle elements. It's a gripping tale of two doctors who must fulfill a dying man's wish to go to the moon. Thankfully, the story managed to make up for the lack of gameplay since the clever writing got me invested in the characters and surprisingly managed to occasionally make me chuckle throughout the adventure. To The Moon is a short game that took me over 4 hours to complete. Considering the $10 price, it's a solid recommendation for fans of visual novels. Hell, I'd say the soundtrack itself is worth the price of admission. 

Battle Chef Brigade (PC)


 Battle Chef Brigade is an interesting mix of the hack-and-slash and puzzle genres. As an aspiring young chef, you must prove yourself by cooking your way to the top while competing against your peers in the process. The game has you hunting monsters and using their remains to create dishes that caters to each judge's taste. It's similar to a cooking show on TV (minus the whole monsters thing) and alongside solid gameplay and lush visuals, Battle Chef Brigade is the most unique game I came across in a while.


 And that's some of the games that I've been playing recently. A lot of indie games have really surprised me in the last couple of months as I came across many unique and charming games hence the huge focus on indie scene recently. Hopefully, you managed to like a game or two and hey, here's hoping that you'll enjoy them as much as I did. That's pretty much it for this month's update and that means I'll see ya next time!

Comments