What I've Been Playing [November 2018]

 Hey all, the year's almost done and I'm still juggling through my backlog of games while also trying to check out some of the year's recent releases. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be reviewing some of the bigger titles that I wanted to play such as Red Dead Redemption II and Assassin's Creed Odyssey due to time constraints, so I'll be focusing on some games that have caught my attention in the past few weeks, mostly on the Nintendo Switch. As always, here are some of the games that I've been playing over the past while that you should check out:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NSW)



 While I did beat Breath of the Wild earlier this year on the Wii U, I just felt compelled to go back and this time, play it on the Switch, which I haven't been using for a while. I have to say, even though it's my second time in, I'm still finding new secrets, side-quests, and locations that I missed during my first playthrough that took me over 50 hours! It just shows the amount of depth the team at Nintendo EPD have put in Breath of the Wild and still stands one of the finer Zelda games to have come out.

Mega Man X Legacy Collection (NSW)


 The popular sub-series of the Mega Man franchise, Mega Man X, received a compilation package that included all eight main games of the series this year, and like many, I was anticipated for its release. While I always had a tough time playing the Mega Man games, I was glad at the prospect of a beginner mode to help alleviate the difficulty curve of the early games, and I'm having a blast as result. There's also a decent amount of extras such as a new boss rush mode and animated film to entice veterans as well. Despite a few mediocre titles, the X Legacy Collection is great way (and a convenient one on the Switch) for players looking to play some of the best 2D platformers of the 90's.

Dead Cells (NSW)


 I'll admit that while I'm not the biggest fan of "rogue-like" games due to the fact that you immediately lose all progress after you die, I still had to give Dead Cells a try simply due myself being a fan of its faced-paced gameplay. The main goal here to fight your way out of a mysterious island while surviving the onslaught of ruthless and difficult enemies. While disheartening, I found that dying was part of the experience as you'll have to take note of enemy attacks and patterns while also defending when needed. However, my biggest gripe with the game is that everything is procedurally generated, meaning that levels always change in structure after you die. It sucks that you don't learn much from your previous death and it makes some playthroughs excessively random. At worst, you'll possibly get bored of starting in same level after dying over 20 times, but how the game rewards you with taking risks and sticking through with it manages to make up for some of the shortcomings.

Comments