AcidGameReviews Turns 10!

Time flies...
 

 Hello and welcome to another retrospective-ish post and today we're talking about... AcidGameReviews' 10th anniversary! Wow... I really can't believe that it's been 10 years since I posted my first-ever review here. Time sure flies and I've had lots of fun over the years playing and reviewing the games that I've been playing. In the 5th anniversary retrospective, I went into depth with my experiences on AGR, so be sure to check it out here. For this occasion, I'll be touching on the origins once again while sharing my journey during the last couple of years.


 I first thought of starting my own gaming blog after doing a game review of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in my journalism class in high school. I played lots of games so I thought "Why not talk about them too?" I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grow up, but the thought of being a gaming journalist was at the top of my mind since I loved video-games. I'd read lots of old-school IGN and GameSpot reviews and saw how cool video-game journalists got to play games for a living. In retrospect, it sounded silly given the embarrassing state of games journalism today. Still, that drove me to write, play, and review games on a more objective scale. In the end, I just focused on my experiences about what I liked and didn't like about a specific game. I've become disinterested of being a journalist over the years but my passion for gaming was still there.

  I didn't touch on this in the past, but I came up with the name "AcidGameReviews" after I saw a YouTube review of Metal Gear Acid, a Metal Gear spin-off for the PSP. I didn't care much for the game but the name "Acid" sounded cool and stuck with me. That and the main focus of my blog was to write game reviews, so put two and two together and the rest is history. To this day, I still use Acid as my name for games that ask you to select your name as it still sounds really cool. 


The old-look of the blog post-April 2015. I couldn't find the original look, 
but it was nearly the same with orange accents.

 These past years have seen my output diminishing and I was feeling burnt-out, rarely getting excited to write reviews-- unless it's for a game or retrospective I really like to do. I haven't had time to play games, let alone write long-winded reviews about them, and I slowly grew to forget about the site. But if you noticed, I hadn't given up completely and the site got a major makeover last October to freshen things up. AcidGameReviews has been a part of my gaming life over the past decade that I can't see myself letting go of it. Even when my reviews get no views or comments, I take great pride in my work and see them as reminders of where I was and what was I feeling when I was playing those games. I've taken a 'quality over quantity' approach to ease things up too.

 I understand that all good things must come to an end and eventually, there will be a time where I might suddenly stop posting here altogether, but until then, I'll continue to play and write about games as well as improve my writing skills in the foreseeable future. I've still got a bunch of reviews and retrospectives I'm looking forward to making, so the future looks bright for AcidGameReviews!

Comments