Video-Game Burnout (And How to Deal With It)

 Lately, I've been putting off playing games for various reasons. I'd choose a game, pick up the controller but I just don't feel like turning the console or PC on--- and that's not the first time I've felt this way. Yeah gaming is my favorite hobby but honestly, I do occasionally feel worn out of it after a long periods of time. That's not to say I've fallen out of love with it... but that sometimes I need to take a break. It's been a while since I've last done a topic-styled post so today I'll be going over a couple of ways to deal with it, based on my own experiences. 


1- Play other genres: The quickest way for me to get burnt-out of gaming is when I'm playing the same genre of games back to back. It makes sense since you're playing the same thing even though it's a different game. For example, I love RPGs and there were times where I'd finish one then immediately fire up another long adventure, which does get exhausting after a while. Not every game needs to be a 50-hour epic-- so I made it a policy that after finishing a big RPG, I'll play a platformer or shoot 'em up to relax with (basically a smaller, more digestible experience). If you're strictly single-player games-only why not switch it up and play multiplayer games with friends or other players? Who knows, you might like it.

 Sometimes going out of your way and experiencing a different genre can reinvigorate your passion for gaming and get rid of that burnt-out feeling. 


Abzu's among the more interesting games I've played this year.


 2- Switch up systems: Maybe it's not playing the same genres over and over that are boring you but the routine feeling of sitting down and turning on your console or PC that's making you feel burnout. If you're too lazy to sit on a couch and face the TV, why not change place gaming on PC or better yet, why not take up a handheld and kick back on the bed? Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo all make amazing systems and games but if you're tied up to one ecosystem for long periods of times, it can become boring. I have all three platforms and game mainly on my PlayStation so when I'm feeling bored with the that, I'll move to Nintendo's platform and play some of their games. It's a nice change of pace for me and when I'm done playing on that I move on to Xbox-- that way I never get bored.

  Realistically, this point is kind of moot since not everyone has all platforms and in fact, most would prefer having everything tied to one ecosystem for convenience. Still, it's worth pointing out if you're a player that prefer having multiple systems. 

When I'm bored with consoles and PC, I switch things over to handheld.


3- Try another hobby: If it isn't the lack of variety, then you might be tired of gaming momentarily, so how about taking up another hobby? Reading, exercising, walking are great outlets to relax but if entertainment is still your thing then there's anime and TV shows to watch and enjoy too. There were times where I took a brief hiatus from gaming and spent my time on other pastimes like hanging out with friends and reading and after that, I came back to gaming feeling refreshed and excited. So all that burnout could be the result of you just over-gaming and need to take a break to do something else for a bit. 


 And that's how I deal with burnout when it comes to gaming all these years. It may not sound all that groundbreaking yet sometimes the most simple solutions can make a difference. Granted, everyone has their own ways of dealing with burnout so make sure to share yours!

Comments