Top 10 Games of 2023

A year packed with surprises.
 

 2023 is nearly over and it's been another great year for gaming all things considered. From instant hits to massive disappointments, there was never a dull moment in gaming this year. I had a great time too playing some amazing games and while I didn't manage to play all of them due to the sheer amounts of time and money needed, I'm happy that it was a busy year.

 Also, it marked AcidGameReviews turning 10 years old, which was a fantastic achievement for me since I didn't expect I'll be writing about games routinely for a decade! Now that December's almost over, it's that time of year for me to talk about the Top 10 Games I've played this year.


10

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)

Double trouble.

 Marvel's Spider-Man 2 delivered a fun time with you getting to play as two Spider-Men in a much bigger NYC this time around. I enjoyed the new traversal options, insanely fast load times, and new symbiote abilities for Peter. Yeah, it's not the most daring sequel and I would've loved to see more Venom missions, Spider-Man 2 remained an adventure worth playing as a fan of the webslinger. 


9

Super Mario RPG Remake (ArtePiazza/Square Enix/Nintendo)

A joyful time.

 A remake to a beloved classic that I've heard nothing but good things about, Super Mario RPG was one of the most entertaining RPGs I've played in 2023. Living up to its reputation, it delivered a fun and humorous adventure that would go on to influence many games in the Super Mario franchise. With a witty story, great gameplay, and beautiful new presentation, it's a must-play for fans of the genre and Switch owners alike. 


8

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Respawn Entertainment/Electronic Arts)

The Force is strong with this one.

 Star Wars Jedi: Survivor was a fantastic sequel that completely improves upon Fallen Order in terms of story, gameplay, and scope of its levels. I enjoyed it a lot being a Star Wars fan as watching Cal's journey to fight the Empire was really engaging. Still, it's packed with annoying glitches, so Survivor does have some shortcomings. For fans of the franchise and even newcomers, it's worth a play.


7

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk (Team Reptile)

Dripping with style.

 Bomb Rush Cyberfunk was well worth the wait as it delivered what it promised: a fun and stylish game in the vein of Jet Set Radio. Not just that, but it went the extra step of having a solid story with neat characters to boot. The gameplay was awesome as you get to spray graffiti around town, grind on rails, and constantly evading the cops. Obviously it looks stylish and sounds great with a super funky soundtrack to boot. The delays ended up being worth it as the game is one of my favorite titles of the year.


6

Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)

The horror is back.

 Resident Evil 4 forever remains one of my all-time favorites. It's fun to play, always tense, and never boring-- which is why I had my reservations when news of a remake first hit. Why change what isn't broken? After playing the remake this year, I can say that everything that made the original game fun is here, with a fresh coat of paint. I liked the new segments which extends the playtime a bit and having Ashley as a more involved character now. Capcom's been on a roll lately with Resident Evil and I can't wait to see what's in store next.


5

Final Fantasy XVI (Creative Business Unit III/Square Enix)

A jaw-dropping fantasy.
 
 Final Fantasy XVI was a solid hit this year from Square Enix as it managed to deliver an engaging story coupled with marvelous and grand spectacles the franchise has ever seen. That and the Devil May Cry-style gameplay was a lot of fun, though it will turn classic fans off. Still, it was an outstanding experience that caught my interest and I'm looking forward to playing the new DLCs down the line since I hear they're going to be great.

4

Hi-Fi Rush (Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks)

The beat goes on.

 Hands down the year's biggest surprise for me, Hi-Fi Rush captivated me with bits vibrant world, upbeat gameplay, and its oddball group of characters. Rarely does a game managed to entertain me in from start to finish without feeling bored, but Hi-Fi Rush did just that. As a fan of Tango Gameworks I'm happy that it was a hit for them and I'm excited to see what they cook up next.


3

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Non-stop, tense action.

 Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon was yet another surprise for me this year as while I'm a fan of FromSoftware's games and Mecha in general, I still was on the fence until a friend really recommend it to me. Blistering fast action, tough-as-nails bosses, and insanely customizable mechs, the game was a blast from start to finish. It's also on forgiving side if you plan thoroughly and those initially hesitant like me should definitely give it a play.

2

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Pure, unadulterated fun.

 Super Mario Bros. Wonder quickly shattered my expectations with how good it was in the first hour of me playing it. It took the stagnant 2D Super Mario formula and freshened it up with the Wonder Flower gimmick and gorgeous visuals. The unpredictable visual style and upbeat soundtrack also added a lot to the fun, especially in the Wonder Flower stages. It's truly a game in its purist form with how fun it is alone or with friends and I'm wondering how Nintendo will top it off with their next offering.


1

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Game of the Year.

What more can I say? As a huge fan of the series ever since I played Ocarina of Time on 3DS, I knew The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was going to be my game of the year before it even started. It lived up to my expectations as it built upon Breath of the Wild's foundations and offered a Hyrule that's even more rich in content with actual dungeons to explore. 

 It even pushes the Switch's hardware to its already-pushed limits as the scope is huge here. That, and the story was a lot more captivating along with the characters, which was an issue I had with its predecessor. It's also my most-played game this year at nearly 100 hours, so no surprise why it's my Game of the Year of 2023. 


 And that's all for 2023. There's still games I've haven't gotten around to playing yet, so I'll do what I can next year. I've been happy with my output in 2023 since I managed to review new and old games and keeping up with my backlog. Hope I can keep this momentum going into 2024. Until next time!

Comments